Tuesday, June 3, 2008

13 Grandchildren, by Mary Burson

Illustration from the Lindisfarne Gospels

In response to Rick Lawler, “Don’t Panic” posted on May 22, I can truthfully say I am not panicking. I can also say that I am tired of having the church discuss my sexuality. And I remain patient because I believe there is a divine reason why this discussion is taking place.

My partner and I have been together for 35 years. During that time we raised eight children together. Today we celebrate sharing 13 grandchildren. I consider myself married to my partner even though this marriage is not officially blessed by the church or the state.

When I acknowledged that I was a Lesbian, I felt shamed by the Episcopal Church that I had grown up in and loved. I was told I was living in sin. I left the church for 20 years and at the same time turned my back on God. I died spiritually. It was a long journey back to God and to the church. I had to learn to accept who I am and how I live as being sacred and blessed by God. That has become my truth.

I still love my church. One of the things I love about it most is that reason serves as part of its foundation. By using reason as well as looking to tradition and the bible, the Episcopal Church has been historically open to change. The road has been rocky and the church still stands. And I have faith that it will survive this issue of human sexuality.

My hope is that all the churches in the diocese of Western North Carolina will send clergy and lay representatives to “A Call to Listen Workshop” on June 28. I will be there. I know it will be a safe place to speak my truth without fear; and I vow to open my heart to understanding and to listening with love to those who disagree with me. I also hope that many parishes will choose to make safe places to continue this conversation throughout our diocese. I want to have this discussion because, like everyone, I seek love and justice for all. I believe that is God’s will.

Mary Burson is a parishioner at St. James, Hendersonville, and a member of A Call To Listen committee.

No comments: